Monday, October 14, 2013

Chia Almond Joy Oatmeal


I spent a majority of my adult life in the “average to overweight” category, ballooning up when I had George to a hefty 215#’s, two months of bed rest and a ravenous appetite left me with a lot of excess postpartum weight to lose.  
36 weeks pregnant with George, 1 wk 2 d before he was born, just shy of my peak weight #215.
Then I found running and I stopped trying to lose weight and started trying to be healthy, eat whole foods, and run because it makes me happy.  Then I got braces and had a few oral surgery procedures over the course of a 12 month period, that made eating very difficult.  Suddenly I was in the underweight category and was left with a scary sort of feeling that I was one bad stomach bug from being in real trouble.  
My first half-marathon, at my lowest weight ever, barely holding my ground at 110#'s.

I maintained a rigorous running schedule through this time and trained for multiple sprint distance triathlons, half-marathons, shorter running races from 5K - 12K, and The Marathon, and I managed to GAIN weight.  

How you ask?  

Fully loaded oatmeal and power packed smoothies, using whole foods and sneaking a little treat in here and there. Treats like chocolate and half and half.  The softer the food, the better.  When the braces/oral surgery was at its peak I subbed-almond butter for sliced or slivered almonds, in smoothies and oatmeal. 
Exactly one year to the day later, right before my first marathon, weighing in 15#'s more than the year before, more lean muscle, a little fat to keep me healthy....I never thought weight gain would be a goal for me, but life is full of all kinds of interesting turns.

Yesterday the slush froze to the ground and leaves just enough to allow for sledding.  Our property has a trail that slopes down to the river and I was able to make a .17 mile sled run, using my arms to power us through the less smooth spots.  It was a good workout and loads of fun, but a bruised tailbone and sore hand reminded me I am not in my twenties anymore.  We came inside and I whipped up some comfort food for lunch and thought I should share this calorie rich, filling, and mostly healthy breakfasty treat with you.  

Warning: May lead to weight gain and a general sense of feeling awesome, badass, and un-defeatable.  It's so good, it might even make you feel like you are in your twenties again ;) 

Chia Almond Joy Oatmeal


Step 1: Cook It

3/4 C Bob’s GF Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats 
        or Quaker for the Non-Celiac/non-Gluten Intolerant Individual
1 1/2 C Water
Dash Redmond Real Salt 
1 t         Coconut Oil

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan 
and cook until oats absorb the water, about 5 minutes.
___________________________________________

Step 2: Top It

1 T Bob’s Shredded Coconut
2 T Blanched Slivered Almonds
1 T Chocolate Chips 
1 T Chia Seeds
1 t Pure Maple Syrup
1/8 t Pure Vanilla Extract
2 t Half and Half or Non-Dairy Milk 

Directions: In order, add the ingredients to your personal bowl of 
oatey-deliciousness.  Using more or less, depending on your personal
preference.
_________________________________________________

Step 3: Eat It


Suggested Variation: Sometimes I use almond milk instead of water when preparing the oats. 


Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment